A Special Surprise (Thanks to Facebook)

"In teaching you cannot see the fruit of a day's work.  It is invisible and remains so, maybe for twenty years."  ~Jacques Barzun

Well, it hasn't been quite twenty years, but close enough. I taught Algebra I at Churchill High School from 1994-1996. And through the magical power of Facebook, one of my former students tracked me down. In a a message on my wall, Jose posted, "Mr. Rios, I used to have you for Algebra at Churchill.You were one of my best teachers ever. Hope all is well with you."

Three simple sentences. Three simple, yet powerful sentences that reminded me, once again, why I do what I do - why all teachers do what they do. Some of us love math, other technology, some science, some history. But, the thing that keeps us coming back day after day is our love for kids.

We usually don't get daily affirmations from our students. To be honest, we don't expect it. Very rarely will a student stop on his way out of class and say, "Great lesson!" But a few sentences of acknowledgement, even twenty years later, make every day worth it.

Thanks, Jose! You made my day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Freebie: "Appear In" Your Own Video Conference

Friday Freebie: Easily Create Stunning Graphics in Seconds with Adobe Post

Using the New File Upload in Google Forms