Yes, I Need Both!


Okay, I have a confession to make. I have an iPad and I have a Kindle. And, I really need both of them! It's not just because I'm a tech geek who needs to have every gadget ever put on Earth. It's for two very specific reasons. First, some history...

For Christmas of 2009, I asked my wife for a Kindle. Being the lovely wife she is (and knowing I wouldn't stop talking about it until she got me one), she bought it for me. The following year, I read more books than I've ever read before. I devoured books like they were going out of style and I attributed it all to this new, convenient technology.


Then, last fall I got myself an iPad. When I discovered there was a Kindle App for the iPad, I thought I didn't need my Kindle anymore. I could read all my books directly on my iPad, so I put my Kindle away in the "old technology" pile.

I soon realized that I wasn't reading as much as I was before the "switch." I was trying to figure out why and it hit me. I like to read at night and when I took my iPad to bed with me to read, I rarely got around to the Kindle app. With so many features on the iPad. I had to check Facebook. I had to play Angry Birds. I had to scour the Internet. By the time I got to opening my Kindle app, I was to tired read more than a couple of pages.

The Kindle basically does only one thing - it allows you to read books. I have the attention span of a flea and having a device that will only allow me to read books makes me concentrate on doing just that. So, now when I go to bed, I only take my Kindle with me. It's made a world of difference and I get a lot more reading done that way.

The other thing I like about my Kindle is the display screen. Using e-ink technology, the reader is very easy on the eye. By the time my day is done and I'm laying in bed at night, the last thing I need to do is look at another computer screen. The digital ink also allows me to read outside in bright sunlight.  My iPad is very difficult to see in bright sun. Reading my Kindle, on the other hand, is like looking at the pages of a book.

If you want to make fun of me for having too many devices, go right ahead, I can take it. But as you can see, there's are at least two reasons for my madness.

Image from http://www.ipadvskindle.org/wp-content/themes/swibox/images/kindle_vs_ipad.jpg. Accessed March 4, 2011.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Freebie: "Appear In" Your Own Video Conference

Friday Freebie: Easily Create Stunning Graphics in Seconds with Adobe Post

Using the New File Upload in Google Forms