A Custodian Who Cares...

Okay, today's blog entry has nothing to do with technology, but it has everything to do with education and loving children.

Yesterday,  I witnessed a wonderful ceremony at our elementary school. The entire school - students , teachers, and support staff - gathered together in the gymnasium to surprise one of their custodians, Art, who is retiring today after almost 25 years of service to the district. Art is a faithful and hard-working employee with a great sense of humor, and he will be sorely missed. It was a beautiful ceremony. His family was there, the kids presented artwork and letters they had made for him, and Art was almost to tears.

Later in the day I ran across Art and he confided in me.  "Dr. Rios," he said,  "I'm worried about something. Every morning when I open the school and clean, I sprinkle a little holy water in the hallways to make sure the children are watched over. Who's going to sprinkle holy water when I'm gone?" Art is a deeply religious man and I was extremely touched that he cared that much about our kids. I told him, "I don't know Art, but I'm sure you'll pray for them everyday and I think they'll be fine." To which he replied,  "Well, just to be safe ... tomorrow on my last day, I'm going to sprinkle a lot of water!"

I chuckled, bid him a fond farewell, and walked away feeling happy. Custodians care. Art is a wonderful man and I'm sure there are a million more "Arts" in schools all around our country. It may sound trite, but it truly does take a village to raise a child. We're blessed our village is full of caring villagers.

P.S. If you are part of our Fort Sam Houston ISD, please keep this to yourself. You all know how humble Art is!


Comments

Mary Beth Nieves said…
Mr. Art will be dearly missed by all. He has been a blessing to the FSH Elementary community. Thank you Art for being an inspiration and for your many years of loyal and exceptional service.

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Freebie: "Appear In" Your Own Video Conference

Friday Freebie: Easily Create Stunning Graphics in Seconds with Adobe Post

Using the New File Upload in Google Forms