Even Tech Geeks Get Frustrated!


I love technology. That comes as no surprise to any of you. I love hardware and software and laptops and tablets and gadgets and gizmos. I make my living loving technology. So it may come as a shock to you that every now I want to take a brick to my computer, chunk my iPhone down the garbage disposal, and feed my netbook to a pack of wolves.

Technology, like any man made entity, is prone to break down every now and then. Maybe things won't completely fall apart, but "bumps" and "burps" are par for the course. And, when things do break down,  they seems to form a technological coup and all do it at the same time. Today was one of those days.

This morning I "helped" a group of third graders with a video project. I proudly whipped out a new wireless mic system and they were thrilled. Thrilled that is, until we watched their "silent movie" after we downloaded it to the computer. Then after they left, I attempted to install my new copy of PhotoShop on my Macbook only to find the key they sent me didn't work.

Later I was elated to get help from our multimedia class in posting new images to our digital media signs - only to discover they couldn't upload anything from their classroom. Why? Who the heck knows! So I decided to do something fun and start work on a slideshow of faculty pictures for our end of year celebration. When I tried to copy pictures from our shared network drive I got the "creme de la creme" of the day - the dreaded BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. It was time to go home.

At home I prepared for the online Mimio class I teach only to have my old home laptop freeze up on me and lose all my lessons' updates. My iPad is out of juice. My iPhone is dead. The screen on my Kindle Fire is cracked.

Technology? I hate it!

Until tomorrow. Then I'll be my regular geeky self again. Because no matter how frustrating these crazy gizmos can be, they are after all, great tools. Tools that make our lives easier, our lessons more engaging, and us ultimately more productive.

Wow, I love technology!

Images from: http://leadkrabi.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/ComputerFrustration.jpghttp://michaelshandyman.net/COMPUTE0.jpg



Comments

Benita Bolland said…
I know the feeling, Ronald. It’s one of those days when nothing seems to work. But, I agree with what you said that every manmade thing will sooner or later have defects. Patience is a big virtue when it comes to dysfunctional gadgets. You need to persevere because there’s a lot of troubleshooting involved.

Benita Bolland

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Freebie: "Appear In" Your Own Video Conference

Friday Freebie: Easily Create Stunning Graphics in Seconds with Adobe Post

Using the New File Upload in Google Forms